Otherwise known as a French bun, a chignon traditionally sits at the nape of the neck. In its loose, messy form it’s great for hiding bad hair days. In its smooth, polished form it’s perfect for a night of theater and fine dining.
Here’s our simple step-by-step tutorial for this versatile style–from the professionals on our Color Crew!
How to make a side chignon hairstyle
- Create a deep side-part, as clean or messy as you like.
- Gather all hair behind opposite ear from part. Smooth with your favorite brush if desired, or leave messy.
- Secure into a ponytail with a hair-tie.
- Separate ponytail into three sections. Take bottom-most section and start twisting.
- While twisting section, curl around base of ponytail. Secure to base of ponytail with pin.
- Repeat with two remaining sections twisting into complimentary curls.
- Pin the two remaining sections into place as you go.
- Once a completed curled Chignon has been pinned into place, pull out small sections for a romantic feel, or smooth and perfect with a tail comb for a modern, clean result. Spray to hold.
By: Chelsea Smith
Photos by: Cherise Olvera
Photo Editor: Keith “Skip” Skipton