Fall is a great time to try some red hues. If you’ve ever fantasized about being a redhead, here are some basic tips to help you find your perfect shade.
First, figure out if your skin has warm or cool undertones. Hold a piece of white paper up to your face:
- If your skin coloring appears to be pink, you’re cool.
- If it appears yellow or olive, you’re warm.
You can also look to the color of your eyes:
- If you have brown eyes, warmer colors will compliment you more. Choose golden and coppery red shades.
- If your eyes are light, like blue or green, choose a cooler red with mahogany or deep chestnut undertones.
Fair skin: A light strawberry blonde, like our Ravello Blonde, is beautiful. Avoid mahogany tones that pale your already fair skin.
Medium skin: You can handle a deep red hair color, like our Genova Red, because there is more tone in your skin. A medium coppery light brown or light auburn hair color would be gorgeous. Avoid wine shades that bring out yellow in the skin.
Dark skin: Go with a dark auburn to a mahogany red, like our Sardina Red, or a rich, chestnut brown. Avoid intense shades of red, as they can bring out subtle green undertones in dark skin.
A few things to consider when going red:
- Watch out when coloring over existing color. It could affect the tone and depth of the red you desire. Do a strand test before coloring all over.
- Add a gloss between colorings to keep your red vibrant. You can choose a clear gloss or a tinted one that will wake up and extend your color.
- Red color tends to fade more quickly, so it’s essential that you use a shampoo and conditioner formulated for color treated hair, such as Madison Reed’s Color Protection System, to protect and extend your color.
More on Red Hair Colors
Check out the latest Radiant Red Hair Color Ideas from Madison Reed to find your next inspiration!
And don't miss our Madison Reed Hair Color Chart.